Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Day in the Life of a Teacher!


There is no such thing as a boring day working with teens.  The pace is frenetic.  The moods are mercurial. The net energy output can be exhausting. But 12 and 13 year olds come up with the funniest things that never fail to make me laugh.  Some examples of recent exchanges:
           
“I can’t find my assignment or my book.  My dad was Feng Shuing our house.  Again!”

With 2 days left to go in the quarter.  “How can I raise my grade?”  Teacher’s reply, “I’ll tell you how you can raise your grade.  Find a time machine and go back a couple of months and redo everything.”  Even student thought this was funny.

“If I get an A in your class, my mom promises me a hamster.” 

Day after day, after day, over and over and over again these questions are asked, usually by the same kids. “Can I go to the bathroom, get a drink of water, go to the office?”

“Did I miss anything when I was absent?” huh?

“I just want to let you know, I will not be here next Thursday. Will I miss anything?”

When asked why aren’t you starting your work? “I’ll do it with my tutor.”

When asked, why didn’t you do your homework? “I was too busy.”

When asked, what were you doing? “Playing computer games.” Nice.

And my personal favorite from a very bright 7th grader to a very bright and distinguished teacher (not me):

            “You have nothing to teach me!”

No comments:

Post a Comment